Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sunshine Cake

I was in my Grandmother's kitchen today, and I noticed a book propped in the corner called:

"Scientific Cooking with Scientific Methods,
 Price $2.00

by Sarah E. Woodworth Craig"


.

And, as I flipped through it, noticing all the cool recipes, and phrases we
never use anymore, ads for a revolutionary water boiler,
and even some handwritten recipes, I found one that caught my eye.

Sunshine Cake 
Isn't that a fantastic name for a cake?

 
.
Doesn't it just make you want to go:

"Woohoo! Alright, Sunshine Cake!! Let's go on a picnic!!!"

Cause that was my reaction.
Picnics are super cool by the way.
I have never actually been on a real picnic, like with a
basket, and chicken salad, and a checked table cloth.
I think that would be awesome.
It's officially on my unofficial bucket list.

We always had picnics on a picnic table, and occasionally on
an old blanket, with paper bags. 
We also took Subway sandwiches to the beach once, and the ravens ate 
everything that we left at the table when we all skittered to the beach 
to watch eagles fish, and look in tidepools.
That was fun.

Anyway!!! Back to my recipe.
Oh! Did I mention this recipe book is from 1911?
I just did. Right. Moving on.
*homeschooled*

Sunshine Cake
10 whites of eggs
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
7 yolks of eggs
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 cup flour
Beat whites until frothy, add cream of tartar until stiff and dry.
Add lemon rind, fold in the sugar. Add yolks until rich and lemon colored.
Next, add the flour. Bake for forty minutes in angel food pan in a slow oven*.
Let rise the first 15 minutes of baking.

*So, I asked my grandmother what the equivalent of a slow oven would be,
and she said around 250 degrees.

Isn't that fun?! I love it. I want to make it.
I mean, I am pretty sure you can't buy a boxed mix
at WalMart like this. 

My mom said, "I think it's just lemon flavored
Angel food cake."

Wrong. It is Sunshine Cake.
 And it is sunshiney.

 

Thanks for coming by, let me know if you try it!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment